The symptoms of a cataract will vary according to the different types of cataracts and the stage of development and progression. As the cataract grows the symptoms of a cataract increase.
Cataracts are a progressive condition. Once a cataract has started to develop the only treatment method is to remove the cataract and the eye lens. There is no treatment to stop the development of a cataract or to reverse the damage caused to the eye lens.
At first, a cataract will have a fairly minor effect on vision with slight blurring of eyesight. As the cataract develops, patients start noticing signs of a problem in the eye.
Common Symptoms of Cataracts
- Misty vision
- Seeing halos around bright lights
- Deteriorating night vision
Initial cataract symptoms can be confused with other minor eyesight problems and many patients ignore the warning signs of a cataract. If patients notice any change in eyesight a visit to an opthalmologist can diagnose eye conditions early and prevent vision loss.
Cataracts are painless and develop gradually. Many patients are unaware of the cataract until the cataract grows and the proteins begin to cloud more of the eye lens and other symptoms appear.
Serious Symptoms of Cataracts
- Vision becomes cloudy or blurred and does not clear with eyedrops
- Night vision becomes worse and bright lights, such as the headlights of oncoming cars may appear dazzling
- Patients often see halos around bright lights or dim lights seem glaring
- It is harder to distinguish colours
- Prescription glasses need changing more often
- Double vision
- A visible milky cover appears in the eye
- It is more difficult to distinguish contrasts, like shadows and contours, in your vision
By this stage the cataract will cover most of the lens and is described as being ripe or mature.
It is advisable not to wait until the cataract has reached this stage of development and progression. The ability to live a normal life will be affected by these symptoms and if left untreated cataracts cause blindness.
Get a FREE quote for Cataract Surgery
Once you click the button you will receive your quote in your email within a few minutes and we will never spam you.